This page lists the topics and presentations from past Lunchtime Learn sessions.
As always we open up the floor to any other questions you may have. We are limited to an hour, but bring your questions and we will cover as much ground as we can.
And remember, we solicit topics from the community in each LL session, but you don’t have to wait for a session to make a suggestion. We love to hear them, and it helps us to better serve you, so send them along to email@example.com.
Topic - Action Lists and Email Notifications
The next Lunchtime Learn session will be at noon on Thursday, May 25th, in OSP’s Kendall Square (NE18-901) conference room. The topic will be Action Lists emails, and the fact that they are being retired.
Actions Lists will soon be replaced by email notifications that will provide you with useful information. Some of the notifications which you can look forward to include:
- When a proposal is returned to the Aggregator(s) for correction before re-routing, they will now receive a custom email explaining this, with a link to the proposal in the email notification.
- When a proposal is Submitted for Review, or Approved by an Approver at a previous level, the Approvers at the new level will now receive a custom email telling them there is a proposal in their inbox waiting for review/approval (again, with a link to the proposal for easy access).
- When all Key Persons have certified on a proposal, the email notice will be sent to any Aggregator listed on a proposal, not just the creator (especially helpful when someone is covering during vacations, sick time, etc.).
- The CA email (“OSP has received your proposal and it’s been assigned to OSP CA ______”) now has a link to the proposal in the email notification. So, no more looking to the separate generic “Action List” email for the link.
We will be discussing this change and answering any other questions you may have. We invite you to join in the Action List retirement celebration. Yes— we’re excited about the change too!
The KC Support Team (firstname.lastname@example.org )
Topic - Financial Conflict of Interest
On February 8th, MIT’s COI Officer, Rupinder Grewal and members of the KC Support Team answered your questions regarding of the COI process. Some examples of what we covered were:
- I am applying for funding though X. Does that mean I now have an SFI with X?
- What is the difference between certification and COI?
- I just completed my COI disclosure a month ago. Why am I being asked to complete it again?
- My award is in Hold/Restricted status. Why?
- What happens ‘behind the scenes’ to clear a COI hold?
- My PI needs to complete COI Training. What is it and where does she go to complete it?
- What can I do (in the department) to help the process?
Best Practices and Processes
The KC Support Team held a Lunchtime Learn session on Thursday, December 15th. The primary topic we discussed was Proposal Hierarchy.
Some points discussed were:
- Best Practices
- Available Resources
KC Updates, Certification of Key Persons
All of us in KC Support hope you had a first-rate summer replete with relaxation and overall summer goodness. Lunchtime Learn also took the summer off, and now it’s ready to get back to business.
What we discussed included these topics:
- KC Updates
- Medusa function
- Certification of Fellows or other Key Persons in Development Proposals
- When or Why is it necessary?
- How does it work?
- What is the difference between COI and Certification?
NIH Forms, Detailed Budgets
In our May 3rd and 11th sessions, we covered the following items:
- Update, and upcoming changes, regarding D Forms (NIH)
- Detailed Budgets – How to ensure inflation is applied appropriately and on the correct dates for salary line items
In our March 22nd and 24th sessions, we covered the following items:
- Search Operators – “How do I find…?”
- Award Hierarchy – Navigating the Award Module:
- Award Terms
- Obligated Amounts
- Incremental Funding
- Tips and Tricks for creating/editing your KC Proposal Budgets
Submit for Review
In our December’s KC Lunchtime Learn, we reviewed
- Live Demo to discuss Proposal Issues users are experiencing
- Submit for Review (viewing the routing of a proposal)
E-mail us at email@example.com and let us know what trouble you are having in advance and we will prepare to review and resolve at the Lunch and Learn.
In our November’s KC Lunchtime Learn, we reviewed
- Proposal Types (and the validation errors people may encounter)
- Update Budget Period Dates
- Doc Search for Proposal List (how to find Proposals created or edited during a specific period of time)
Award Navigation in KC
In our October’s KC Lunchtime Learn, we covered
- How to find/print Notice of Award
- How to find/print Award Modifications
- Current & Pending Reports
- Medusa feature
“Tips and Tricks”
In our September’s KC Lunchtime Learn, we reviewed
- Units – why are other units added to our proposal? How do we add or delete a unit from our proposal?
- Adding TBAs and Tuition to a proposal
- Proposal Certification and COI – are they the same? How are they different?
- Data Validation – what the error message means and how to correct in a proposal when “Fix It” does not bring you to the issue
- Search Tips and Tricks
- KC Website and Resources – where to find Quick Cards, FAQs, and online request forms